~ This blog post is an adapted excerpt from a sermon by Peter DeWitt. You can hear the whole sermon, The Process of Faith, from Agathos Church – a non-denominational Christian Church in Columbus, Ohio by clicking here.
Over the past two weeks, Renee did a wonderful job speaking about entering the promised land of God in our lives. She noted that all of His promises are for our possession. As believers, we want to have a possession and power orientation regarding His promises. As Bill Johnson says, we owe the world a powerful encounter with God. For the Israelites, God promised the promised land 35 times. It was clear that there was a land promised to them! So, although we are not the Israelites in need of a physical nation . . . what are God’s promises for us?
The promises of God for us are HIS WORD! So what are some of those promises?
- Romans 8:37 . . . I am more than a conqueror
- Romans 5:17 . . . I reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ
- Deut. 28:13 . . . I shall be above only and not be beneath – head not tail
- Psalm 127:2; Ps. 3:5 . . . He gives me sleep
- Deut. 28:8 . . . He blesses me in all to which I set my hand
- Is. 54:13 . . . great shall be the peace of my children
- Prov. 11:21 . . . the seed of the righteous is delivered
- Ps 91:11 . . . He shall give His angels charge over me
- Ps 91:10 . . . No plague shall come near my dwelling
- Is.54:17 . . . No weapon formed against me shall prosper
- Deut 28:7 . . . The Lord will cause my enemies who rise against me to be defeated before my face.
- Ps. 112:2 . . . My descendants will be might on earth.
- Ps. 5:12 . . . God surrounds me with favor as with a shield.
- Ps.138:8 . . . The Lord will perfect that which concerns me
- Jn 14:12 . . . I will do the works Jesus did – and greater works too!
So, just like the Israelites, we have been promised many very wonderful things, but our possession of those promises is NOT automatic. Unless we have a possession orientation regarding the promises of God, we will not appropriate our inheritance. So how do we possess them?
Nevertheless, as believers, we often think of great faith as “icing on the cake.” But, according to the word, as believers, His Promises are THE WAY OF LIFE! “‘Now the just shall live by faith; But if anyone draws back, My soul has no pleasure in him.’ ” (Heb. 10:38, emphasis mine) Faith is not an a la carte item in the buffet of a believer’s life – it is the main dish! Galatians 2:20 says “I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.” (emphasis mine) Faith is a believer’s way of life. Faith is how we partake of the divine nature. In other words, it is how we operate in His Will for us – how we access His Promises for us! Look at 2 Peter 1:3-4 “His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.”